028 9099 3888
Estate Agents in Belfast & Ards Peninsula, Northern Ireland

Advice for Tenants

Why rent with BCP Residential?

Enjoy fast and friendly tenant support with BCP Residential

We treat tenants with the same respect as we do our landlords. After all, while you're renting a property, that's your home. Our team do their best to ensure tenants enjoy their rental as much as possible, quickly resolving any issues that arise. We have such great relationships with our tenants that many who eventually buy an investment themselves, become property management clients of BCP Residential.

Not a tenant yet? Call our office and register with us and receive alerts of new properties that suit your location and lifestyle.

In this section, we'll help you to understand the rental process and how to best handle any rental issues.


Guide to the Rental Process

Applying for a property

When you find the right property, you will need to complete a Tenancy Application Form.

You will need to provide photographic identification and verification of your current address.

Apply Now


The rental deposit is requested as financial protection should there be a breach in the tenancy agreement. Your deposit will be lodged with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

The deposit is held as security against any property damage, undue wear and tear or in the event there is money owing at the end of the tenancy.

Once it is established that all conditions of the tenancy have been met, the deposit will be refunded promptly. The amount of deposit payable is specified in the tenancy agreement.

Please note the deposit required may increase where there is a rent increase or no guarantor in place.



Only the people (and the number of people) included on your tenancy agreement are permitted to reside at the property on a permanent basis.

Should a tenant wish to move in or out you are required to notify us in writing immediately.

Please note a new tenant will need to be approved through the application process prior to moving in.


Paying the rent

It is your legal responsibility to pay your rent, to the landlord in advance. Please ensure that your payments reach us on or before the due date.

BCP Residential will not physically collect your rent. Rent must be paid by the method stated on your tenancy agreement.

If you have any problems with your rent payments please notify your Property Manager at the earliest possible time. If you fall into arrears, we will be obligated to follow the procedures outlined in the tenancy agreement to collect the rent on behalf of the landlord.


Inspections - Pre inspection and Routine Inspections

A property condition report is used to determine the condition of the property at the commencement of your tenancy. It also ensures that you are not held responsible for damage at the expiry of your tenancy which may have been there prior to your occupation.

You are required to make comment and additional notes, sign and return the document to our office. The document will be filed with your Tenancy Agreement and used as evidence of the property condition at the commencement of the tenancy.

Routine Inspections will be made at regular intervals. The primary role of these inspections is to advise the owner of the condition and care of their property and what, if any, maintenance is required. This is an opportunity for you to point out any maintenance required at the property.

Photos may be taken by the Property Manager during the inspection.


Repairs and Maintenance

It is important when you notice maintenance issue that you inform our office as soon as possible. This can be reported in writing, email or telephone. Jobs requiring attention by trades people firstly require permission from the landlord.

Once the Landlord's approval has been obtained, a work order is forwarded directly to the specific tradesperson, who will then be in direct contact with you to arrange convenient time to address the approved maintenance. Please be aware that works carried out on the property by any person not approved under a work order from BCP Residential office may result in your liability to pay the account.


Emergency Repair

The legislation is specific about what constitutes an emergency repair and it's important that you know that should the issue not be deemed an emergency, you will be responsible for the account. An emergency repair is something that is likely to cause injury or which makes the property unsafe or insecure. (For example, burst water service, serious leak and serious electrical fault.)

You will be provided with an out of hours emergency contact number. Should an emergency repair occur please contact this number and report directly to us. We in turn will inform our maintenance team.


Ending the Tenancy and leaving the Property

Contact your Property Manager to discuss your legal requirements with regards to ending your tenancy as written notice periods will be required. Once the Property Manager has received/issued your "Notice to Quit", they will contact you and advise requirements for handing over vacant procession. Once vacant possession is established (that is, all keys have been returned) a final property inspection can be completed.

Please note: The deposit will only be returned once it has been established that all rent is paid as required, the property has been returned in its original condition as per the entry condition report (excluding fair wear and tear) and all applicable invoices have been paid. Please note if you do not return the keys with the time frame we may change the locks to the property and you will be liable for the cost.

Breading a Fixed Term Tenancy

Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract. There is no obligation of the Landlord to release a tenant early from a fixed term agreement. If your situation changes please contact your Property Manager to discuss the options that maybe available.


A First - Time Renters Guide To Renting

Congratulations on your decision to look for a home to rent.

If this is the first property you have rented you may be wondering exactly what you need to prepare before moving in. Below, we highlight some of the information and documentation you should receive and complete prior to moving in.

Tenancy application form: A tenancy application needs to be completed and signed before moving in and will require references from you as well. A reference can come from a previous landlord or estate agent, or an employer.

Proof of employment: You will need to prove you are currently employed and the amount you are regularly paid. Usually you need to provide your last three payslips.

Identification: You will need to provide your passport or driver's license as photographic ID.

Fees and costs: If a landlord approves your application, all tenants will be subject to pay money for a credit check. In addition, one months' rent needs to be paid up-front when renting to ensure you're in advance and a deposit amount needs to be paid. A deposit is usually the equivalent of one month's rent and is held in trust in the event the property is damaged or there are monies owed at the end of your lease. The deposit amount is returned to you if the home is in a reasonable condition.

If you are a first-time renter, you may be concerned about proving your rental history. Don't worry, the main things your landlord and we will be looking for are your ability to meet regular rental payments, take care of the property and meet the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.


Rental Issues

How do I arrange any repairs that might be needed?

Any repairs that are needed on the property should be made clear to our office as soon as possible, preferably in writing or via telephone. Some repairs will be considered urgent, if your health and safety or the property itself is threatened.

In these instances, we will have a repair person attend to these issues as soon as possible.

Non-urgent repairs should also be directed to your property manager, who will organise for these repairs to take place when practical. It's important not to try and repair the property yourself.

If personal items of mine are damaged at the property, whose responsibility is it?

Your personal property is your responsibility, so any items that are damaged, lost or stolen are not the responsibility of your landlord. That is why it is advisable to cover your belongings adequately with contents insurance.

Can I make any small alternations to the property?

Before making any alternations to your rental property, including small changes like pictures hooks etc, ensure you speak with your property manager to get the OK. The best way to do this is in writing so the request can be forwarded to your landlord who will need to provide permission for any changes. Keep in mind changes may also be at your expense, unless agreed otherwise with your landlord.


Found a property you are interested in?

Why not fill in our Online Application Form to speed up the process?

Apply Now